By Fin Ruane
Following on from the huge success of last year, it gives me great pleasure to announce that the second Junior Series at CrossGuns in Dublin will begin in September.
My aim to provide junior players with much needed, affordable and regular tournament play will once again run for nine months from September to May 2017.
This season will see several tweaks to the format for the Under-14 and Under-19 events.
No longer will the U-14 and U-19 players compete against each other.
Fixtures in both age groups will be played on a round-robin basis, with all matches played over two frames. In the event of a match ending 1-1 a re-spotted black ball shootout will decide the winner.
In the U-14 events frames will be contested over 6 reds.
Ranking points will be awarded for matches won with extra points on offer for the overall winner in each age group on the day.
Subsequently, these points will go towards the end of season awards where once again I’m delighted to welcome The Billiard Company on board as U-14 sponsors and the highly respected SnookerHQ website as the high break sponsor.
This season I will again be awarding a season long snooker scholarship for one of the players.
Last year’s CrossGuns Scholarship winner Aaron Hollard will receive paid entry into all of this season’s junior series events, along with paid entry into every RIBSA junior and senior ranking event. In addition, Aaron receives free practice and coaching at the Academy throughout the campaign.
The changes for this coming Junior Series are solely to offer each player more table time and much needed match practice in his or her respective age group. I do feel these changes will also make for some exciting snooker matches and all in all an enjoyable day’s snooker for every junior player.
Alongside last season’s champions John Joyce (U-14) and Andrei Blondu (U-19) the series is open to all junior snooker players throughout Ireland.
Entry fee is €10 with the winner on the day receiving a trophy and cash prize.
The first event will be held on Saturday, September 17th with play beginning at 11.30am.
I’m looking forward to welcoming all junior snooker players of both age groups to CrossGuns this coming season in what I’m sure will be a fantastic series played in a great snooker atmosphere.
Contact: firstname.lastname@example.org or 086 8196760
CrossGuns Junior Snooker Series Event Dates
Saturday September 17th
Saturday October 8th
Saturday November 6th
Saturday December 3rd
Saturday January 14th
Saturday February 11th
Saturday March 11th
Saturday April 8th
Saturday May 11th
Dates are subject to change
- The Junior Series is open to all players under the ages of 14 and 19 on or before Saturday, September 17th, 2016.
- Fixtures in both age groups will be played on a round-robin basis.
- All matches will be played over two frames. In the event of a 1-1 tie a black ball re-spotted shootout will decide the winner. A coin toss will decide who plays first.
- All matches in the U-14 section will be contested over 6 reds.
- In the event of six or more entries in each age section, groups will be drawn. The winners of each group will play a two frame deciding match to determine the overall winner on the day. A black ball re-spot will decide the winner if scores are level at 1-1.
- In the event of players tied on matches won at the end of the round robin, frames won will determine who advances. Should the number of frames won be equal, the result of the head-to-head between the two players will be the deciding factor.
- There will be a three miss rule in the U-19 section whereas the U-14 will have a no miss rule.
- The scholarship prize will be open to each junior player who competes in the junior series.
- A full copy of the rules will be available at each event.