Mark Selby won the China Open for the fourth time
SnookerHQ News, World Snooker Tour

Mark Selby targets more success after China Open triumph

Mark Selby is determined to build on his China Open triumph after rediscovering some of the best form of his career in Taiyuan.

The Englishman produced a superb display to beat Noppon Saengkham 10-6 in Sunday’s final and claim the £250,000 top prize.

It was a fourth China Open title for Selby, who previously lifted the trophy in 2015, 2017, and 2018.

There was also an emotional backdrop to Selby’s success, with the 43-year-old revealing after the final that he had received some difficult news from home during the tournament concerning one of his close friends.

“I still get nervous before the start of matches, but that’s why I still keep playing the game,” Selby told the World Snooker Tour.

“This week has been tough, because I got a text from back home saying that one of my good friends, who I have known since I was 11 or 12, has basically been given two months to live.”

“They had a charity night back home, and I would have been there if I was home. If he is watching, this one is for you mate.”

After beating Pang Junxu 6-3 in his opening match, Selby dropped just four frames across victories over Kyren Wilson, Neil Robertson, and Stuart Bingham.

He orchestrated a pair of 6-1 wins over Wilson and Robertson before ousting Bingham 6-2 in the semi-finals.

Selby then recovered from an early 4-2 deficit against Saengkham to win eight of the next 10 frames and secure his 26th ranking title.

The performances throughout the week left him particularly pleased with the quality of his game.

“It’s amazing. I felt like I probably played some of my best stuff this week,” he said.

“It was somewhere close to my best. I scored more times than not when I got my chance.”

“I felt confident out there and like I was going to win the frame in one visit, even if I didn’t. Confidence is everything in this game.

“When you’re confident, you look at the shots and you fancy getting them. When you’re not confident, you don’t even fancy a black off the spot.

“It’s been good this week. I found some good rhythm and played at a nice tempo when I got my chances. Hopefully, I can continue doing that.”

The China Open success is Selby’s first ranking title since his UK Championship victory towards the end of 2025.

It also moves him up to fifth in the official world rankings and takes him alongside Neil Robertson on 26 ranking titles, joint-seventh on the all-time list.

The result gives Selby a major opportunity to build on his momentum for the remainder of the season.

He will head to the upcoming Wuhan Open as one of the leading contenders, while his China Open points also effectively guarantee his place in all three Players Series tournaments.

That is significant given Selby’s longer-term ambitions, but for now he is focused on making the most of a rich vein of form.

“I just want to try and carry on with this momentum, take it through into next week. Hopefully, I can carry on playing the same in Wuhan.”

“I’m in all the tournaments now, which is great. But while you have this form and you’re riding the crest of a wave, you want to try and keep that momentum as much as possible.”

If Selby were to triumph again in Wuhan, he would reclaim the coveted world number one position.

Featured photo credit: WST

Leave a Comment

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

*

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.